Celebrating Holidays with Senior Loved Ones
The holidays are upon us. The hustle and bustle of the season often brings a mix of great joy and stress.
Among the flurry of activities and excitement, remember that the greatest joy is time spent with loved ones. Regular visits, outings and involvement can raise the spirits of everyone in the family. The greatest gift for a senior during the holiday season is companionship.
The key to successful family time with senior loved ones is a combination of preparation and flexibility.
Think of things your loved one might enjoy and what they are (and aren’t) up for. Concentrate on what is still possible – activities to enjoy together. This might include:
- Helping write Christmas cards, or reading cards received from friends.
- Baking favorite treats (if the stove is now off limits, ask for help with icing or sprinkles)
- Enjoying a classic movie or listening to festive music.
- Reminiscing and sharing favorite stories.
- Looking through old photos.
- Reading a favorite book to a grandchild, or asking them to read one of their favorites.
- Tackling a puzzle or getting out an old board or card game.
Being prepared helps things run smoothly, but it’s also important to stay flexible and realize that things may not go as planned. Live in the moment – go with the flow and make changes, if needed.
Most importantly, make the most of your time together. It doesn’t matter what you’re doing as long as you enjoy it together. Things likely won’t turn out just as you planned, so take it as it comes and don’t sweat the small stuff.
We wish you a wonderful holiday season.
If you find that you or a loved one needs help, please contact us. We team with families to improve quality of life for seniors.
Join the Discussion
Seniors Home Care reserves the right to remove anything deemed inappropriate, off-topic or otherwise questionable; however, we have no responsibility to do so.